Thursday, September 21, 2017

The Challenge of Authentic Assessment

Time is flying and students are doing well practicing art studio routines to take care of our materials and space.  As the studio facilitator (or Artist Teacher as I've been called ☺) I have observed the need to take more time to explicitly teach care of materials and space.   I am making an effort to leave time for these habits, knowing that all of the children, their art practice, and the studio environment will be better off for it.  My own studio spaces at home are benefiting from it too.

I am also stretching my assessment strategies to collect data that can be understood by other teaching professionals, measured and quantified, and most importantly used to inform teaching and learning.  Students enjoyed their initial assessment.  I look forward to finishing the scoring so I can see the baseline.   During the winter we will gather more data to see artists' growth and again at the end of the year.

 Two fourth graders were inspired by the paintings they studied during their assessment activity during choice drawing!

No comments:

Post a Comment